Saturday, July 28, 2007

Dry Embossing ~ A Dirty Dare Card

This card is for the Dare To Get Dirty event at SCS. The technique was provided by labullard, a Dirty Dozen Alumni. Please check out her gallery of fantastic creations. What a great technique and easy, too! It gives a wonderful raised effect to the image. This is how I did it. I stamped my image on vellum. I placed the vellum on an embossing pad and used the large end of the stylus around the outline of the stamp. Then, I turned the vellum over and rubbed the entire stamp with the large end of the stylus, and then went over it again with the small end. Then, on this same side, I used my Prismacolor Markers to colour in the image. I found that using darker colours gave a better colour because when you turn it over, you can see the muted colours on the side that will be visible when you place the finished image on your card. Another tip was to use a dimensional when adhering the image to the card so that it will retain it's raised embossing. I used White Perfect Puff for this. That's the stuff that comes out looking like a white glue, but when you use the heat tool on it, it goes all puffy. It provides the perfect cushion to stop flattening. ED NOTE: Kim in her comment, asked when the Perfect Puff gets heated? As soon as I put the Perfect Puff on, I heat it so that it goes puffy. When it's dry, I put the vellum stamped & puffed image onto a piece of white cardstock that is exactly the same size (another tip I forgot to mention). This allows the colours to really show up well.
On top of all that, this is a layout of my own making. It's really simple, but it's mine, at least to the best of my knowledge! I opted to do machine stitching as I really like that effect and I'm hoping that the more I do it, the straighter my stitching will become! LOL!
Supplies: Kraft c/s, Wild Asparagus DP, CTMH pink DP, Prickley Pear image, Prismacolor Markers, White Perfect Puff


I also started this card today, using one of my newest Stamping Bella additions. Please welcome, Huggybella. It is a pocket card, I just haven't figured what's going into the pocket yet! I apologize for the poor quality of the photo. I must have been shaking when I took this photo. I'll do better next time.

Supplies: Pink Passion, SU DS DP, Huggybella, Prismacolor Markers, Ribbon

5 comments:

Myrnabs said...

OMG these are absolutely amazing and adorable. I love all your work!!

BTW, barb ur blog is AWESOME!!! Thumbs up to you girl!!

K Hutchinson said...

Barb-

This is way to cute! Love it! Ok so you fill the inside of the image with White Perfect Puff place it down and then heat it???? If so this is alot like paper shaping but you fill the image with Hot glue instead!

Both your cards are great!

~K

Alex said...

Very cute Barb - LOVE them!!! *HUGS* Alex

thimbles bobbins paper and ink said...

Barb, your cards look GREAT! Love the embossed card especially. So many lovely details from the color to the embossing to the puffyness to the lovely (!!!) stitching!

Little C's Creations said...

very cute stamp! this is on my list of Bellas to get.... thanks for sharing!

aloha,
Jen