Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Eulogy for Hank

Well ... I don’t know where to begin …

I just went to the bathroom and no one yowled to get in, no one attacked my pulled-down underwear and no one jumped in the sink waiting for me to turn on the water (‘cuz we all know running water is better than water that’s been standing in your dish). No; I had absolute privacy this time; and I cried.

Hank passed away last night; sleeping in my sweater, which was where he went after checking GrammaStamper’s bathroom activities. It was as if he had a bad dream and yowled against the unseen demon … then was gone.

I’ve had cats all my life. A dozen or more and GrammaStamper has had none. She asked if it’s always like this and I replied “it never gets easier”. And it never does.

Hank was born “Cinnamon” and he told us that his moniker was ‘wussy’ so we suggested “Hank” and he approved. Hank, not Henry, was impetuous and irreverent and totally frustrating at times. He was impatient and demanding and exceptionally affectionate; to everyone, as long as you weren’t a child, dog or other unfamiliar animal. He would enter the Sear’s saleslady’s jacket and inspect any purse he was unfamiliar with, much to the chagrin of folks not accustomed to curious cats. If you didn’t like cats, he was sure to be on your shoulders trying to explain to you the benefits of felinity.

Hank took on this blog when GrammaStamper had her knees replaced. He did the best he could to bring a smile to all during a difficult time. I think he did just fine even though I had clean-up chores after his party.

Some might say I write this for cathartic purposes while others might say I write this for personal gratification but I write this for Hank; a fine friend and, although only a pet, worthy of a notation in our digital world.

Good-bye Hank,

Nice knowin’ ya.

We’ll miss you.

-GrampaStamper

16 comments:

Sherri Thacker said...

I'm so sorry your beloved Hank is gone. I know you will miss him alot! Sherri

Suzi said...

So sorry for you both. We'll all miss hank's wonderful posts!! {{Hugs}}

mudmaven said...

I'm so sorry! Hank was such a trooper while GrammaStamper was laid up and we all really appreciate his posts keeping us informed about her well being. He will be missed! ~chris, harold and maude

pescbrico said...

I'm sorry. Here is a hug.

Anonymous said...

My condolences in your loss. It's been 5 years since our dog & two cats passed and we still miss them dearly. Hugs to you both.

Tami Bayer said...

I am so very sorry for your loss. Hank brought us all a little joy with his posts. Sending hugs.

Denise ~ Paper Ponderings said...

I'm so sorry...hugs.

Lesa said...

My deepest sympathies for your loss. {{{hugs}}}

thimbles bobbins paper and ink said...

Dear, DEAR Barb and John. I know the sorrow you feel. You have both Paul's and my deepest sympathy.

I do believe that Hank is waiting at the Rainbow bridge for you and is free of pain, disease and discomfort.

Again, I'm so very, very sorry for your loss.

Big hugs of sympathy,
Jennifer, Paul and all of our critters too

shadoob said...

An eloquent good bye...I've been thinking about you and grampastamper...~Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Barb, I am so sorry to hear about Hank. Your tribute to him is so touching . . . God bless you.

Midnitecreations - Renu said...

Our pets are part of our lives and as such are as deserving of their human counterparts to be loved and cherised. Hank certainly sounds as if he was. Your words here brought him to life for me. I'm sorry for your loss and my hugs go out to you both.

Erin said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about Hank!! My sweet kitty is 17 1/2 years old, and I don't know what I'd do without him. I'm sure after awhile I'd come to enjoy not cleaning up hairballs, being able to leave clothes sorted on my laundry room floor without finding they were used as a litterbox, and not finding the stray hair in whatever homemade treat I just baked...But I'd rather put up with those things and have my sweet kitty, as I'm sure you would, too. Hugs to you!!

Mary said...

This brought tears to my eyes. I'm so sorry for your loss. I know first hand what it feels like to lose a beloved cat. My heart goes out to you.

Shannon Tompkins said...

Barb, I've been behind on my blog reading and just read this post today. My heart goes out to you on the lose of your Hank. My own Missie is now almost 16 years old and has been with me since 5 weeks old. She is my baby and I am her loyal slave. Hope the pain of losing Hank heals soon.

Kathy W said...

My sympathies for the loss of your kitty. It has now been a year for me since my kitty died. I think this is a wonderful post honoring a cherished member of your household. Hugs to both of you.